Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey Pot Pie
Thanksgiving for us was a success. It was our first one in the new house and we cooked everything on our own. It took me 2 days and a week of worry but I pulled it off and everyone has a good time. We went to bed Thursday exhausted but happy and thankful for the family time we had. I woke up Friday to a ton of leftovers (there’s only 2 of us) that will feed us for a good part of the week.
I generally don’t like turkey at Thanksgiving because it’s usually dry, especially as leftovers. However, I hate wasting food. Since we had a ton of turkey leftover this year, I am making it into something we can enjoy the rest of the week. I will be making the bones into bone broth/stock for soups, but in the meantime, I needed to get the rest of the turkey out of the way. I love love love pot pies and for me it’s a tasty way to eat left over turkey (or chicken). Here is my recipe:
Turkey Pot Pie Ingredients:
- 2 cups chopped turkey or chicken
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1 cup diced skinless potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 puff pastry sheet, cut into four 4 1/4-inch squares
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil four 10-ounce ramekins or coat with nonstick spray.
- To make the filling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, green beans, potatoes, carrots and peas and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent, about 2 minutes. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth, milk and thyme, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in turkey; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Divide the filling evenly into the ramekins. Top with puff pastry and gently cut 4 vents in the top of the crust. Brush each crust with the beaten egg.
- Place into oven and bake until the crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.