How to Survive the Mercury Retrograde
Mercury retrograde: what does this mean?
Three or four times a year, Mercury passes the earth in its orbit. As it rounds the bend, Mercury slows down and appears to stop (station) and spin backward (retrograde). In astrology, Mercury rules communication, travel, and technology and retrograde makes it all crazy for 3 weeks.
Mercury retrograde can crash electronic equipment. Expect delays if traveling, and pack a book to entertain yourself while you wait for the tardy bus or plane. Get in touch with old friends – and don’t be surprised if people from your past track you down. You might hear from the most RANDOM ex-boyfriends and childhood classmates during retrogrades. Mercury also rules contracts, so think before you ink. Either wrap up important negotiations before the cycle starts, or wait to sign documents until Mercury goes direct.
Mercury retrograde do’s and don’ts.
- Check your statements, receipts, and bank account.
- Review all contracts and legal documents before signing.
- Be patient!
- Charge your electronics! Carry an extra wireless charging device!
- Practice self-care
- Pause and breathe before speaking. (Repeat yourself if necessary!)
- Read all emails and documents before you send.
- Insure/track important mail and packages.
- Get your vehicles (or bikes) tuned up, pack an emergency roadside kit.
- Leave early for any travel and appointments, since Mercury Rx can delay flights.
- Renew your commitments instead of making new ones.
- Focus on the prefix re-, which means to go backward (renew, review, revamp, redecorate, et al.)
- Plan reunions with old friends & loved ones (but prepare for possible mishaps!)
- Expect to hear from/run into people from your past at the weirdest moments.
- Practice forgiveness. Finish processing what’s unresolved so you can let it go.
- Confirm all dates, plans, meetings, appointments.
- Back up your digital data (photos, contact lists, files) before the retrograde or ASAP if it’s started.
- Buy new vehicles, electronic equipment or gadgets (unless they come with a good return/repair policy).
- Dwell on anger.
- Sign contracts without a thorough review (delay until Mercury turns direct if you can).
- Fly off the handle or jump to conclusions if someone misunderstands you.
- Shoot the messenger if someone from your past comes around.
- Put anything sketchy into an email or text (you could hit “Reply All” or send to the wrong person!).
- Leave late for flights or appointments.
- Start anything new on top before finishing what’s ahead on the to-do list.
- Lead people on, give mixed messages, or believe everything you hear (actions speak louder than words).
- Spread rumors, rant on social media or share unconfirmed information.
- Turn in sloppy or unchecked work, cut corners, dash off hasty communications. Inspect to protect!
Mercury Retrogrades in 2017:
January 1-8: Capricorn
April 9-May 3: Taurus & Aries
August 12-September 5: Virgo
December 3-22: Sagittarius