For those of you that have asked, I appreciate that you think my skin looks so good. This has been a long time coming with a lot of blood, sweat, and tears along the way. From age 12 to 15, I had really bad acne. It was the cystic kind that cropped up with huge pimples and lots of whiteheads. In that time frame I researched and tried hundreds of things. Because of this, I became aware of skin and taking care of it at a very early age. I was able to create a routine that probably prevented tons of damage that would have otherwise occurred.
Over the last five years I have gotten serious about it, and finally honed in on things that work for me. I have combination skin that is more oily than dry, and large pores and blackheads on my nose and chin. The large pores are caused the amount of oil my skin produces, which is a double-edged sword. It’s good because oily skin tends to not wrinkle as easily later in life, but it’s bad because I have to take steps to keep blackheads at bay and worry about the texture of my skin when it’s congested.
The main 3 things you need are a cleanser, a moisturizer, and a sunscreen. If you don’t want/can’t afford anything else, these are non-negotiables. You need a mild cleanser to remove dirt and oil from your face. Dirt happens no matter what you are doing during the day, due to pollution, makeup, sweat, etc. I recommend cleaning your face at least once a day, at the end of your day to get that stuff out of your pores. I use Dr. Bronners castile soap. It’s pretty cheap and the ingredients are clean.
Everyone needs moisturizer, whether you skin is oily or not. Moisturizer not only keeps your skin fresh, but it also acts as a protective barrier for your skin from the elements. It’s also nourishing and help your skin regenerate. I use Urban Skin RX HydraBalance Instant Moisture Infusion.
Sunscreen is a must. The sun is the single most damaging thing for your skin. UV rays cause wrinkles, sunspots, and sometimes cancer. If you are light I recommend wearing it everyday. If that’s not feasible, you should definitely wear it when it’s sunny and you are going to be outdoors. I cannot stress this enough. No matter what color you are, please wear sunscreen of at least SPF 30. I prefer mineral sunscreen, but it’s up to you. I also try to wear hats and visors when I’m in full sun for an extended period of time.
I use a couple other items, not everyday, but they are things I like and work for my skin.
- Vitamin C Serum: I use this 1-2 times a week before my moisturizer to combat sun spots
- Face Masks: I use these 1-2 times a month as a pick me up for my skin. Choose ones that’s right for your skin type.
- Toner: I use this 1-2 times a week to balance my oily skin.
- Rosewater/Glycerin Spray: I use this in the winter and when I travel to keep my skin from getting to dry and going crazy. It also helps refresh my makeup.
Skin Care Tips
- Use a satin or silk pillowcase and wash it often. Soft pillowcases help you avoid wrinkles. They are also good for your hair.
- Exfoliate once a week. You can use a gentle scrub and manually exfoliate or you can use acids and chemically exfoliate. I do both, but not on the same days. I use Urban Skin RX Clear & Even Tone Clarifying Glycolic Pads 2-3 times a week. I also use the Derma-E Microdermabrasion Scrub once a week.
- DO NOT SLEEP IN YOUR MAKEUP. It’s sooooo bad for your skin. At the very least use a wipe and try to get most of it off before you go to bed. I use Avalon Organics Brilliant Balance Purifying Towelettes
- Drink a lot of water. It’s so good for you for so many different reasons.