Moon Rituals to Try for Energy and Clarity
The new moon
The new moon happens when the sun and moon align at the same degree of the zodiac—and when the yang (masculine) energy of the sun merges with the yin (feminine) essence of the moon. When this happens energetically, it’s time to get still so you can focus on the (metaphorical) seeds you wish to plant and the new beginnings you want to anchor.
How to indulge in a new-moon ritual
1. Under the new moon, it’s a great time to get quiet, meditate, and tap into your intuition. Create a special ambiance for yourself by lighting incense, dimming the lights, and using some special candles.
2. Once you’ve reached a point of feeling centered, tune in and ask yourself for an intention to guide the next lunar cycle, which is approximately 29 days.
3. On a special piece of paper—like a cute journal or piece of stationery—write your intention out. Once it’s written, read it aloud three times (or until you feel yourself committed to bringing this intention to fruition).
4. Then, light a candle—preferably a new candle that you will exclusively use for this lunar cycle. Over the next two weeks while the moon waxes to full, relight the candle daily, each time rereading your new-moon intention.
The full moon
Full moons, in their essence, are nourishing. Think about it: The moon, symbolic of the feminine, receives the light of the sun, shining it back to us with illumination. When the moon is full, its strong gravitational pull on the earth can make for a time of peak creative energy and powerful intuitive breakthroughs—it’s about embodiment of your dreams and wishes. The full moon accentuates everything that you’ve been working on during the waxing phase.
How to indulge in a full-moon ritual
1. Under a full moon, I highly suggest getting out of the house and spending time connecting with the light. If you can, try meditating outdoors under the full moon—although a cozy, serene spot indoors near a window will work too.
2. After meditating, prepare a warm candlelit bath, using all of your favorite essential oils and bath salts. (Epsom salts rejuvenate the energetic field of the body and leave you feeling incredibly recharged.) You may even want to add rose petals or flowers to the bath water to make it extra special.
3. Before stepping into your bath, reread the intention you set at the time of the new moon. As you bathe, imagine any blocks to your desired outcome physically moving out of your life—you’ve got the next two weeks to make it happen.