I Balanced My Hormones Naturally Pt. 2: Supplements
Top Supplements for Hormone Balance
Taking these supplements daily has balanced my hormone levels and made my period painless. These along with diet and exercise have really positively attributed to my quality of life and overall well-being.
- Vitamin D: Most people in the US are Vitamin D deficient. You get Vitamin D from the sun, and the best way to absorb it is to sit outside for 20-30 minutes a day in direct sunlight. However, that is not always possible, so supplementation comes into play to help. In some cases, treatment with vitamin D supplements can help to relieve the symptoms associated with rapid changes in hormone levels. Hormonal imbalances cause by abnormally low estrogen production in a woman’s body can occur as a side effect of some cancer treatments, surgeries, or can occur naturally as a result of menopause. This low estrogen can prove harmful, increasing the risk of osteoporosis. Taking vitamin D can help prevent the bone loss caused by low blood estrogen levels, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.
- DIM: THIS ONE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE!!! Diindolylmethane (DIM, in short) is the principal breakdown product of indole 3-carbinol (I3C), the phytochemical found in cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, collards, mustard greens, radishes, watercress, and turnips. DIM, has been shown in scientific studies to reduce the risk of breast, cervical and other estrogen-driven cancers cancer by helping the body to make a better balance of the “good estrogen” (2-hydroxy-estrone) compared to the “bad estrogen” (16-alpha-hydroxy-estrone
- Fish Oil- Essential omega-3 fatty acids (found in high-quality fish oil supplements) are needed for creating and maintaining cell membranes, synthesizing hormones, and regulating genetic expression.
- Multivitamin-I take a food-based multivitamin to help compensate for any mineral or vitamin deficiencies I may have from not eating all the right foods. This one is great because it also contains a women’s herb blend that has all the best herbs for hormonal issues.
- Chloroxygen– This is a brand of Chlorophyll supplement. It is beneficial for maintaining sexual hormonal balance in both males and females. Vitamin E present in chlorophyll helps to stimulate the production of the correct amounts of testosterone and estrogen in both males and females.
- Adaptogenic Mushrooms– Adaptogens balance out your hormones and help calm stress levels. Your body’s stress system, the sympathetic nervous system, controls hundreds of pathways that are responsible for inflammation. And this is important because the hectic, crazy, modern world we live in can leave us feeling exhausted, inflamed, irritable, hangry, and emotionally spent—all of which can lead to hormonal problems like adrenal fatigue, low sex drive, and thyroid problems.
Bonus: Red Raspberry Leaf Tea-this one is a game changer during my cycle. I drink a couple cups of this around the first day of my period, and I don’t have any cramps!