Elderflower Lemon Cake
Anyone else still swooning from the royal wedding? I know I am! It was a beautiful ceremony and I loved every minute of it! One of my favorite details from their day was the cake! Elderflower lemon sounds delicious and perfect for a spring wedding. Botanical flavors are totally in for cooking this year, and I love elderflower cocktails, so I thought this would be a perfect time to come up with a cake recipe and be royal for a day!
What Is Elderflower?
Small, white elderflowers grow on elderberry bushes, which are found throughout the U.K., northern Europe as well as in parts of North America, and bloom from late May to early June. Meghan and Harry are seriously capturing British spring in their wedding cake. While elderflowers are quite pretty, most recipes, including cocktails and baked goods, call for elderflower cordial or syrup.
Elderflower Lemon Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, white granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour pan.
- In a medium sized bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt and zest. Whisk to blend and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the softened butter until smooth. Gradually add the sugar and mix on medium speed 3 to 5 minutes until it is lightened in color and fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla extract to mixture
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until the yellow of the yolk disappears.
- Add the flour mixture. Begin and end with the flour. Mix until combined and smooth, do not mix above medium speed or over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, smoothing the tops with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350 degrees. For two 8 inch pans, bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only a few crumbs attached. Let the cakes cool in the pans 10 minutes then turn out.
- For the frosting, combine all ingredients and beat until thoroughly mixed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Ice cake once it’s completely cooled.