Creating a Capsule Wardrobe
I found out about capsule wardrobes sometime last year and thought it was a great idea for me. A capsule wardrobe is a limited amount of clothing pieces that someone can wear in multiple ways. It’s great for minimalist or people who like to be efficient with their time or are on a budget. While some people have a capsule wardrobe that encompasses both work and general life. I only use it for work. I have 15-20 pieces of clothing thatI switch out each season. This may not work for everyone, but I thrive on fast and simple when it comes to getting dressed in the morning, since I have to be up and out the door at 6am. I have been doing this for almost a year now and I really like it.
Here are a few tips and tricks I have learned for creating and maintaining a capsule wardrobe that make it super easy and efficient.
- Determine your color palette. Typically neutrals are easiest to work with, since you can mix and match them relatively easy. I tend to have a wardrobe of black, white, and grey, but I mix in pops of color and texture for fun.
- Most capsule wardrobes are 33 items or less. Here’s a link to a very informational website for starting your capsule wardrobe journey. Determine what works for you.
- Make sure you have a good mix of items. For me it’s usually 3-5 bottoms, a two or 3 dresses, a couple of sweaters or cardigans, and the rest are tops. This number will obviously differ based off your style preferences.
- Dress for the weather/HVAC. My office is typically super cold all the time, so my work wardrobe includes a few sweaters/cardigans so that I am comfortable all the time.
- Buy good quality items. Since I wear a limited amount of clothing, I make sure to buy items that won’t fall apart/fade after multiple washes. I usually shop discount stores and sales to get great items for a lower price.
- Use your accessories and shoes to change up your look. Inexpensive accessories are not only fun, but are a super easy way to create a new look.
- Make sure the item fits you NOW. If you are going to wear it now, it needs to fit and you need to be comfortable in it.
- Make sure you choose items that make sense. Here are a few things I ask myself: Is it appropriate for work? Do I love it? Can I wear it multiple ways? Is it seasonally appropriate? If I answer yes to at least 3 of those questions then I will work the items into my capsule.
- Plan your week. I usually wash, press, and lay everything out for the week on Sunday. I have a clothing rack that I use and once I wear items I move them from the front portion of the rack to the back. That way I can wear different items/combinations throughout the week/month.
- Have fun! This isn’t an exact science, and there are no hard and fast rules. Do what makes you feel good with your wardrobe. That’s the most important thing.